When it comes to assisting Swedish citizens who travel abroad and run into difficulties, Embassies / Consulates General have to comply with Swedish law and instructions from the Swedish Ministry of Foreign Affairs. This meaning that the Swedish Embassies / Consulates-General only under certain circumstances can act in individual cases. The Embassy / Consulate Generals ability assist with money transfers and loans is very limited.
In principle, the Embassies / Consulates-General should not provide such services that normally are provided by banks, travel agencies and hotels. Assistance shall not be provided for such things as the traveler him-self can arrange by e.g. visit a bank, make a phone call, etc. The Swedish Embassies / Consulates-General is instructed to first leave the so-called "Help to self-help” guide. This guide has various information has been prepared to help your-self to sort out your situation.

Help from Consulate General

If you can’t solve your problem on your own, the Consulate General in certain circumstances would provide more active assistance. This may include help with mediation of accounts from Sweden or from relatives. The Consulate General does in these cases charge a fee of 600 SEK. Please note that the Consulate General's involvement can only be considered if you have what is called a distress. This means "one who due to illness, theft, robbery or other unfortunate circumstance has a lack of resources for travel costs to Sweden and necessary expenses in connection to the that or for medical care."

More detailed information is find on our Swedish site.